Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Oh, the places you'll go.

Lately, I've been doing a lot of thinking about dreams - not the dreams which visit at night but rather the dreams where I spend most of my days. I've always been a dreamer. Dad and I used to joke about how he never had to tell me to keep my head up and my dreams high because I'm never anywhere but there. Starting in kindergarten, I began to dream of being a teacher. I wanted to wear the heels, the pencil skirts, sit on my desk and talk to a class full of students. I want to have books lining the walls, and students who come in during their free periods because I make a difference to them. Then I had that as a student teacher. It was AMAZING. The first day I stood in front of "my" students, I had never felt so perfect anywhere. 
 
In high school, I had made a "bucket list" (although it was before the bucket list time). On this bucket list were things that I wanted to have '(69 SS Chevelle), places I wanted to go (Prague), and things I wanted to see (the oceans); however, it also included things like falling in love, getting married, a beautiful farm house with a barn and a tire swing. Why did I want these things? Why were these things my dreams? Have my dreams changed? 

After taking a year off from my lifelong dreams, I've begun to realize there are many I've done that I never thought I'd do. There are things I never though I could do. In the dwindling hours before departing for Americorps part deuce, I've begun trying to asses my dreams and define new ones and old ones. These are things, I feel I can accomplish and I will accomplish, I hope. I'm going to include a small list here of things that I feel are mostly tangible, in the respect that they do not involve emotions or other people. 

  • visit all 50 states (in one week I'll be at 29)
  • best music festivals in the country (Jazzfest, Cochella, Bonnaroo, Sasquatch)
  • burning man
  • Peace Corps
  • Travel Europe (Prague, Vienna, Austria, Italy, Rome)
  • Brazil
  • Australia
  • Open a Youth Shelter/Residence/Charter School
  • Scuba Dive
  • Learn ASL
  • Photography (.35mm) + dark room development
  • Hot Air Balloon Ride
  • Learn ASL
  • Teach, Teach Teach
  • Start an inner city teacher placement program

 

No comments: