Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Round one of packing.

Alas, I have resigned to some tediously tiresome tasks of packing. Tomorrow I need to ship my package UPS in order for it to get there on the 13th (the day before my grand arrival). I"m beginning to feel like there is not enough room in the world to make me feel comfortable about this packing extravaganza. I'm not going on vacation. I'm not just traveling for fun. I am MOVING, literally moving across the country and in theory I'm taking one suitcase and one box. I have decided to pick 'favorites' as far as clothes go but I didn't let myself take dresses or skirts.

DIGRESSION:

I'm kind of feeling like I may be out of place. While i LOVE getting dirty -I farm, I play sports, I enjoy working on cars (even though i dont know how) i like woodworking and learning new things. I have NEVER shyed away from something bc it could get me, or my clothes, dirty. BUT I love dressing up. I make up. Do my hair up. I love heels, skirts, blouses, sweaters, jewelry and while nothing is better than wearing sweats around the house I firmly enjoy dressing up. I'm bringing one skirt but not bringing any dresses and I'm very sad. .

END DIGRESSION:

I'm also struggling with shoes. I know, I know. All you gents can laugh but ladies...do you hear me? So in the NCCC suggestion list it says to bring dress shoes BUT are BDU's are black and brown which would require black AND brown dress shoes, but then there are heels (which i live for) and closed toes. I have flats but they are patterned so does that count? AHHH. I really can't afford to buy new things when I get out there. Especially if I just have it already at home which is why I think I'm compulsively overpacking.

I'm actually getting excited now. I'm so glad that I'm doing this. Its hard to not be in the classroom. I miss putting together units and skimming through texts for silly things like metaphors and similes. I miss the laughter and the respect that a room full of students can give you. I miss the challenges that a room full of students can give you. I hope that the next ten months can give me tools for my 'teachers toolbox' and that I'll be an even better teacher when I come back. But.......

I'm a forward thinker. When I was in jr high i was planning high school and when I was in high school I was planning college and when I was in college I was planning my life after and then suddenly in my very last year at college I make a random decision to apply then in my very last MONTH 2 weeks til the very end of college I get accepted and now...what? I'm trying to plan life after the corps but it seems dim and scary. I won't be back til the very end of July most schools are interviewing in april-may not the end of july almost almost. It's going to be a dire situation and/or an emergency that gets me a full time teaching job next fall. BUT so much can change. This program is sponteniety at its finest and I'm in it for that. People could change, hearts could change, lives could change and I can't plan based on everchanging. That fact is throwing me off and I think at a whole what I'm mostly terrified of.

On a family note Paiges birthday was last weekend and we were at jenni's all day on sunday.....

peace out...best friend 911.

1 comment:

AliyahB said...

hey i feel you with the shoes situation. i have a shoes fetish and i cant decide which shoe i want to bring and as it is i have 5 pairs picked out to bring with me, but i want to bring more! how many pairs are you bringing including the 2 pairs of sneakers they recommend?