Monday, October 04, 2010

EEKS!

Corps members come in four days!!! EEKS! EEPS!  So much to do, so much to do.

I really do have kind of legit reasons for my absence, besides all the business of my green shirt. I went to Camp Mendocino again ( Sun-Thurs)! This time we went as a 'mini-spike' to give all of us TLs a chance to talk to a sponsor, do some more service and get off campus. I love mendocino, I love the staff, I love the work. My desire to own/work/run a summer camp obviously increased while I was there and both the staff families had small children just running willy nilly around camp...in a respectful kind of way. I felt like that was the sort of childhood experiences I wanted my kids to have. Shall I just join a hippie commune?


We did some pretty intense work. We demolished two bathrooms so there can be new ones installed (the new ones ARE nice!). We hiked up the worst slope of all time to do some trail work, on what is an 'escape' route in case of fire...although no vehicle I know will be able to make most of those hills. We also moved/cut firewood. Both of the families use wood to heat their homes (partially if not fully) and last years hard winter depleted most of their stash so we helped them out a ton!

After our drive back, Friday was back to work! So much to do til the CMs get here! I'm so excited for them all and for all their experiences they'll have this year!

Saturday a bunch of TLs took a trip to Yosemite. Oh wow! was it amazing. We did a hike to Mariposa Grove to see all those famous Sequoias. Then we reached this vista point that was dizzying with swaying trees and endless beauty. Thunder had started to roll in before we had even got to the peak, but you know how much I love thunder. On the way down it started sprinkling a little bit, then with .5 miles to go to the end (it was about an 8 mile hike) it just let loose. THe four of us sprinted to the bus but were soaked by the time we got on. As if we weren't wet enough, we had to get off the bus and run all the way to the back of the parking lot to get in the car. The only thing I wish was that I didnt have electronics to keep dry, sneakers which were soaking wet, and a 45 minute car ride sopping. I just wanted to jump in the huge puddles. We stayed at Camp Curry, which is set up exactly how I've always envisioned old Army Camps...just rows of tent/cabins. Our tent was non-heated but fit five people. Mikey, Laura, Paula, Chris Nic and I had a cozy evening...after a fun wine drinking evening with 14 other TLS in their cabin. Then this morning we bummed around the tent listening to the rain fall. The fog was beautiful the way it snaked through the trees and the bluffs. Also the rain caused a bunch of the waterfalls to flow and flow more than before so we had a great chance to see that. I want to go back and spend more time. Although with my knees and arthritis I'm always afraid of overdoing it, but I defnitely need to kick it up a notch. No pain no gain right?

I had so many cherry on top moments this weekend, I can't help but feel happy.

I want to upload my photos but since I'm laptopless (like one of the very few TLs who dont have one) I can't get them on FB or anything but walgreens. Hopefully I'll get some for you later.

Its already 1230 and I have 6am PT in the morning...the alarm rings in five hours! EWW!

Sleep sweet faithful readers.

No comments: