Tuesday, September 14, 2010

wouldn't it be great if we all had visible thought bubbles?

Phew it's been a few days...I wish I had new and thrilling things to report, but I really do just sit in trainings for 50+ hours a week. Most of my days start at 540 AM when Brandi Carlile wakes me up to trainings wrapping up around 6 pm and then socializing til almost midnight when I look at the clock, panic and sprint to my room (only to not fall asleep for sometimes an hour). I'm making some great relationships with other TLs and I feel like...preparing (maybe) for the fateful day the corps arrives!

One exciting thing that did happen was we had our unit reveals. Obviously I've been hoping of being on the GOLD unit again. There is such pride in the returners and being under Mike Coleman's leadership. Due to some ameri-rumours about last year and the fire management teams (FMT) changing to be on every unit I was honestly terrified of being separated from my GOLDEN spirit. Well I shouldn't have worried the big MC had me taken care of for another year. This is our first official picture as the gold unit. From left to right : Bruce, Javelle (my roomie), Chris, Mikey, MIKE COLEMAN!!!!, Shawna, Dani, Laura, me, and Paula. Later we decided who would be which teams and I'll be leading GOLD 6 into a successful, fun and hopefully life changing year! woo!!!! I really cannot even begin to tell you how proud I am to be part of this unit. I think every single one of my unit TLs has something great to offer me and the unit. I can't wait to continue this family!

Our first day of service was Saturday in honor of 9/11 the National Day of Service and Rememberance. Hands on Sacramento (HOS) partnered with a few other places, including NCCC to work at Bell Ave elementary. The corps and around 50 or so volunteers showed up to 'get things done' for Bell Ave. It was super fun and also felt really great to get back to work for a cause. I hammered in some stakes, sanded/painted a bench and then got to make a bulletin board. My tasks seemed a little less obvious as some of the other tasks which included laying stepping stones of the garden structure, repainting the basketball hoops/murals, planting trees, cleaning classrooms and otherwise organizing some teacher's stuff. This school seems to really be striving to help their students in every way possible and it felt good to be helping them. This picture was kinda creepy...I said "hi" to dusty (the guy in the green walking away) only to have him respond by asking if he knew I was on camera. I was so caught up in my sanding job that I had completely missed this fellow recording me from a few feet away! eeks! We didn't quite get all the work finished so tomorrow some of us will be going back to continue hauling rocks and dirt!

This morning the GOLD unit met MC, Larry Mead (!!! a favorite) and Lauren in midtown at McKinley Park to discuss civic engagement. This discussion brought up a lot of good questions and thoughts. Why aren't more people talking about service, especially in a culture where service is becoming 'sexy'? Does a person's motive behind service really matter? Should we make judgments of a person based on his/her service motivation? Or service philosophy? Over the last  year, I've met a lot of people, with a lot of different reasons behind their service work but their is one common, and on very important denominator - they serve!!! So what if someone is serving because it makes them feel good, or they're giving back, because they have a passion, or see a need. They are serving! Whatever that drive or motivation is, it got that person off their butt and into the world, a world which needs a lot of help! It was moments like this when I was sitting with my unit, and three staff and I could feel logs being added to the fire of my service. I love the way it burns.

No comments: