Thursday, September 01, 2011

The end; an anniversary and the future

Well today is the anniversary of the beginning of Americorps Part Two: Team Leader Edition. What a great day to wrap up the year and look ahead, right?

Gold 6 finished Alaska. I definitely want to go back in the winter, however I feel like I was able to do so much. We went to Seward (I saw orcas, puffins, mt goats and a bunch of birds), Denali (I saw a lynx), the wildlife conservation center (as close to a 'wild bear' as I saw), a ton of Glaciers, a forest fair, the saturday market, Earthquake park and had lots of play time. I LOVED this project. If you take out the culture of New Orleans this was by far my favorite project. The sponsors were so great, the kids were amazing, and I was happy happy happy!

The team struggled a bit, I'll chalk it up to fourth round, but we made it back to sacramento safely. At the awards banquet, Katie received VST of the year, most individual ISp hours and the team received most cumulative ISP hours.

We also had a "mandatory reflection" the last week, I took the team to the park, where we laid on blankets, sat in chairs, ate licorice and shared feelings. It took 5 hours but was the perfect day. I kept looking around at these 10 people who drove me crazy and I loved fully and thinking that this moment was how I wanted to remember them. Open, happy, relaxed, excited, loving with a calm breeze, sunshine and california warmth.

We've been apart for over a month now, and while i was supposed to see two of them on my road trip, life happens and I had to change my plans. They are already doing so many great things.  LOVE YOU GOLD SIX!

After the CMs left it was back to TLT. Most of the struggled I felt between myself and other TLs dissipated as quickly as the cms. I and the lovely res life staff organized the lounges, bookshelves and the kitchens. Vaya and I spent a good 3 days cleaning up the kitchen. After two years in the program, you cannot even believe how painful it is to throw about 15lbs of peanut butter. I really appreciated these hours in the kitchen; I really appreciated Vaya's friendship this year.

Our last night together almost EVERYONE went to lions gate and all who were there ended up in their underwear or fully dressed in the pool. There were chicken fights, shots and so much laughter. The next morning was so hard, but Paula and I headed out on our road trip. Sacramento-->Camp K, Salt Lake City-->Boulder, Co-->DSM, IA--> Chicago to pick up Iman and then Sibly, IL-->LOuisville for lunch, Algood, TN-->D.C-->Albany-->Boston (and CT)-->Albany-->Chicago-->Home! It was nearly a month of the road but I saw all of Gold One except for Yasha. Stephen is back in CA so i saw him before I left. It was amazing to see so many people who mean so much to me. Only 13 states on my list of places I've never been! Paula is a fabulous road trip partner and i am also greatly appreciative of her friendship this year.

I didn't get to see NYC, but that will hopefully come in the next few years. The wanderlust coursing through my veins could be classified as stage IV rapids. Here's hoping I don't stagnate!

I've been home now for 2 weeks today. I think I'm settling into a routine (although I'm not sure if that is relieving or upsetting). I'm working at the shop while waiting for my substitute license to go through. I'm trying to fill out these packets but they sure don't make them easy. I'm rolling and tumbling into adulthood, mostly unprepared. Stressed to leverage my paycheck with my bills. I'm most likely taking a knitting class, and the Wilton cake decorating classes. and hopefully applying to ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that opens. My days are full, but I don't feel like I'm doing much-i spend a lot of my time trying to help mom out around the house. Emily and I demolished a good 60lbs of invasive grassed (oh quantifiables) out of the garden on a search and rescue mission for any surviving tomato or pepper plants. I've started processing these things for salsa.  The apples are looking good, applesauce will be happening shortly I imagine.  I have yet to play any tennis but it's on the agenda.

Life is weird. This transition is weird. I wish Erin had created a schedule for me, and there was a date when I would leave but there is not. I'm in one constant interim project between Americorps and life. What to do...what to do...

No comments: