Saturday, January 08, 2011

Yours, Mine and Ours

As my roommate and I try to figure out the logistical nightmare of merging two families into our one very non-traditional 22 person zoo, the team seems to be rather content. Yesterday, we pulled into Valley Camp to meet Teena, Tom and their four dogs. They are incredibly kind and considerate. They showed us our way into the house. It was raining but hey, this was at least expected. In the NCCC world, you learn to understand even if the forecast is bad, if it stays true its a bonus! Anything that turns out the way it was foreshadowed is welcome. While Laura and I did a quick run through of the house and rooms our twenty "children" carried all of their belongings inside and just piled them on the floor. As I stared at the mountains comparable to Rainier of our things, I wondered how we got it and 22 people into only two vans.

Teena and Tom came out shortly after to give us some camp vitals. I again cannot even begin to tell you how kind they are - willing to give us whatever it is we need and honestly very excited to have us. SEveral times they told us they liked 'noise" so to play and have fun as much as we wanted. WHAT A RELIEF! Gold 6 is nothing if not boisterous. While they were talking the Washington Conservation Corps groups we'll be working with showed up and were soon followed by Ty, our sponsor. The teams introduced themselves and gave us some warm weather tips (mostly regarding hands...which is my biggest fear. I am a BIG FAT BABY about cold fingers). They left after about a half hour. I can't lie, I was a little nervous at how overwhelmed Grold 65 (gold six and green 5) would be after being in the van for 2 days and then swarmed by another 15 people. They were great though. They got an hour to unpack and play before the team meeting.

Two of my CMs came running down the stairs and bolted out the backdoor because they just wanted to play; I quickly shouted after them "theres balls in the closet" and ten fishetd out some balls and a whiffle ball bat." They batted some snowballs around for a while in the backyard. Most everyone else nested into their bunk beds, while I nested into the kitchen.

One of the things we discussed at the team meeting was assigning everyone a "hook." I am somehow really in love with all their parka's hanging up on their pegs. Its no longer a "dorm" its a home!

After the team meetings, we went to Tweeds Cafe which I guess is rather famous thanks to "twin peaks" a tv show which was filmed in North Bend and featured the cafe a lot. Their burger selection was amazing! We took the kids home and Laura and I ventured into town. It was raining as we left town and as we got closer to our exit and then finally into our camp the rain turned to hail and then to snow. As Laura and I drove into Issaquah to go to Fred Meyer we decided we'd grocery shop in Issaquah too to avoid driving more than we had to. The rain was now mostly snow until we actually got half way to Issaquah and then it turned back into snow. I'm not really a nervous driver and I've been driving in snow/rain/slush/wind/storms since I started driving (thanks Iowa!) but I was definitely a little nervous with Betty our 15p (you remember the ditch incident right?).  We go to Fred Meyer and was shocked. It was huge and clean compared to the one in Burien. We got a little excited and then went to grocery shopping/personal shopping. For 22 people for 3 days we were budgeted about $300.  Our teams have very different food habits and likes and Laura and I do too. However, I think we managed to compromise and everyone hopefully won! On our way home the snow picked up again half way back to North Bend and Laura and I started discussing the possible need for chains. Now, I have put chains on before BUT i have put on chains that you drive over...these were not those. My VST (the CM repsonsible for van and tool safety) was teaching us the NEXT day about putting on chains. Well there was no way we were getting up to camp without them, so in the the rain/sleet/snow and about two inches of slush we learned and put on tire chans and drove expertly back to camp, where almost everyone was asleep...thanks for helping carrying in groceries guys lol.

Today our sponsor came and took us on a driving tour around the area, including Issaquah falls. As most things are going to be this round we had to stop for pictures of Green 5, Gold 6 and Grold 65. I'm so excited for this project. Its interesting how much the location affects how I feel. I am not highly motivated by environmental projects but I am IN LOVE with their housing. Camping in Malibu and now living here. I love being outside and i love hiking and all the snow and pretty much everything but the actual work. Since we got here and it snowed, I've been all grins. This is going to be so great!

No comments: