Sunday, November 28, 2010

Daycation!

Americorps has been exhausting. While, I am not a person who normally needs a lot of sleep (i lived on 4-5 hours a night during college and last year) this year has left me completely bed-ridden on most friday night to saturday nights. Without a day of complete rest I seem to be incapable of even pulling my tiny hiney out of the bed. This means that most saturdays are in bed and sundays are done doing work. This leaves no time for play! And if you know me, or any other NCCC member you know how important play is.

Thanksgiving break however gave me a sweet break. The schools in Sacramento take the entire week off so this provides most in school teams the chance to do "Interim Projects." These are just filler projects, usually with one day sponsors who don't really have the sustainable work for an entire team. There are three teams on campus right now - the other two teams joined some of the other on campus teams to work with the Sacramento Food Bank in preparation for Thanksgiving and their Run to Feed the Hungry. But there was also the opportunity to work with Weed Warriors and Sacramento Parks and Rec. Gold Six however was offered an interim project by the Woodland Unified District office...to work in their WAREHOUSE of TEXTBOOKS!!!. Okay I'm a nerd that this excited me but it did. For three days we reshelved, sorted and inventoried over 5000 textbooks. It looked awesome by the time we left.

Wednesday Night I helped one of the Support Team Leaders (STL) prep for the feast on campus and then drove out to Rio Vista to spend Thanksgiving with one of my CMs families. It was really nice to be in a house with a family, but it was a little weird to not be with mine. Weirder than last year. I missed home last year but felt like I was where I needed to be. I felt oddly out of place and missing home this year. I can't decide if it's the role of a TL or that this is now my second thanksgiving in a row. 

Friday I spent my day in bed. Laura, my roomie, does the same thing. I did a little shopping even though I shouldn't have...but what's new. Laura and I went out for lunch and during lunch, I voiced my desire to take a daycation and she voiced how she had never been to San Francisco. In a heartbeat we decided to spend saturday in San Fran. :)

I still love san francisco the way I loved it the first time, and the second time I was there. I don't know that I could live that far from home, or without the snow but if I had to live somewhere else it would pry be there. We had absolutely no agenda, except to see China Town...which we ended up not seeing. We spent 6 hours walking from about Pier 15 to Pier 39 to Fisherman's wharf, to Ghiradelli Square to Chrissy Field and the Presidio. Laura was such a nerd about seeing Alcatraz and the Golden Gate and I loved it. We headed up to the Haight (which I LOVE) to meet two other TL's for dinner at this great noodle place.

I got very nostalgic for christmas and pensive for the future on the drive back down to our car. There were so many Christmas Trees overlooking the city from their Bay windows. It was just so dang picteresque. Then we had to come back. Lol.

Today was a day of Paperwork and tomorrow back to the program at 530 AM...not so excited.



Only two more weeks of this project and 20 days til I get to go home for Christmas. Thank Goodness!

No comments: