Thursday, October 29, 2009

I'd rather be mother Theresa than marilyn monroe

Well...its official I'm no longer a poddie. I'm now a member of gold #1. Pods were our temp teams which lasted a little longer than normal because of our leaders sacrificial service in America Samao. Go NCCC! This past weekend was probably the best weekend I've had in awhile especially since joining. Saturday kicked it off. Bright in early all Americorps NCCCers were bussed to a sacramento theater where we met the mayor who snapped a few photos gave us a speech (unimpressed). He along with the govinator have dubbed the fourth saturday of every octo er "Make a Difference Day." our focus for the day was the large homeless population of Sacramento. In thw theater we listened to a board of experts including a gent who spent years on the streets. I was touched; I'm already thinking about how I can translate this feeling into action in. Des Moines. That's really a huge reason I'm here. Obviously to help here but also to take things back to my classroom and home.
Our project was at the womens's empowerment shelter. This program is one I can really get behind. Women who are already homeless or on their way to homelessness can enroll in this eight week program which gives them job training, interview skills, anger management and most importantly support to get up and out of their situation. They are in session 38. The walls of the front office were covered in bios of the women and then what has become of them since the program. The walls were literally covered with women of all ages colors and personalities, but so many of them shared commonalities- abuse, drugs, sex and the loss of a loved one most commonly a child. It broke my heart.
The project most included organization and boxing and transporting donations. The building has a back room which was full of piles and boxes and many many MANY clothes. It was fun to go through the clothes there was everything from retro chic to retro trash cute contemporary and 90 power suits lol. With all that taken care of the women can focus on their program instead of their mess.
After we returned I finally got to cook! I made poppy seed chicken, apple salad and asparagus. Joe ended up coming into the kitchen. We hung out and he helped with apple salad. When we served dinner everyone was there (except cam who had a hot date). Afterwards almost the whole team headed to the bar. We hung out and talked and laughed. The next day Sam and I plus some of pod 21 went into sacramento. It was a pretty sunday of strolling and ice cream. I had a great time and we got back just in time for some of justins awesome grilling. We plabned our trip as a pod into san fran the next day. After dinner we had a meeting which turned into something both traumatic and tragic.
At the end of the meeting we were all handed paper slips. Our pod had all different ones and suddenly we knew it was time to part. Sarah and I started crying her harder when she realized she was the only one with her clue. There were five of us in search of the "rocket" which turns out to be a playground. Sam, joe, cam, andretta and I were now gold team members while the real of our pod was blue green and silver. Upon reaching the rocket we realized that most of the people we didn't want including the only team leader I didn't like and every other team leader was in samao. They didn't give us our teams then but rather made us wait til the next night.our trip to san fran was cancelled bc both our paddies who drove had training and we had a corps wide dinner. The sun set fast on my good mood. We called a 911 pod meeting to encourage each other cry and hug. Afterwards justin and I ended up stargazing and talking. I was so cried out by night.
Monday gold stil had the day off so sam and I plus a few went to the aero space museum which was neat button san fran. We took another scavenger hunt to find our teams that night.
Cam and I actually ended up on gold one together along with sara who I met in minute (a different then my poddie sarah). Our team is different there is much less laughter and sarcasm and barely any ball busting. I feel like I'm constantly censoring myself but this is it. These are my teammates this is my family. Everyone is hesitant right now and I keep saying it will get better. I'm hopeful even when I lack faith. Right now it feels like well tolerate each other but not be crazy for one another. I'm nervous and achy over it.
Today (thurs) gold is headed to camp menedcino for service projects and team/unit bonding. Its in the redwoods and going to be beautiful and cold! Yay! Maybe it will finally sink in that I'm in california when I see the redwoods.

I may not get to post this til I get back but I'll def give you an update when I return.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: